Litchfield FCCLA won a national award from American Cleaning Institute in 2013. Their video was a Halloween theme telling about the dangers of germs.
The Halloween video was a scary message. The message from Litchfield FCCLA was that handwashing can prevent germs from lurking, making you sick or causing terrible consequences.
Handwashing is still an important topic. Almost every day there is news about the spread of viruses, flu and diseases. Everyday there are national news stories about how viruses are spread. Handwashing can prevent a lot of sickness. Develop a campaign for your school and community.
Handwashing with soap is the most effective and inexpensive way to prevent death for millions of children in developing countries every year. Despite its lifesaving potential, handwashing with soap is seldom practiced.
Even in the United States, where soap is plentiful, handwashing doesn’t happen as often as it should.
How Can I get Involved?
It’s easy! Join the handwashing movement and help us raise awareness about the importance of clean hands 365 days a year and on Global Handwashing Day, celebrated annually on October 15.
There is a lot you can do and here are a few ideas and resources to help you get started.
- Send aneCard to your family and friends
- Make handwashing a priority in your school andat work
- Incorporate handwashing into your FCCLA chapter work
- Create a project, activity or campaign for Global Handwashing Day
- Download the Global Handwashing Day Posters below and display them in your school and community
- Share ACI’shandwashing resources with your contacts
- Use your Facebook, Twitter and other networks to share handwashing messages with your school community, friends and family
- Write a one page summary of your handwashing project and apply for theHealthy Schools, Healthy People, It’s a SNAP national awards recognition
|Global Handwashing DayFCCLA Poster||Global Handwashing DayKeep Calm||Global Handwashing Day
|Global Handwashing Day
Healthy Schools, Healthy People for FCCLA
The Healthy Schools, Healthy People handwashing program can be your next FCCLA chapter project! Get your members together to create a program focused on clean hands and you could earn a cash award for your chapter, all expense paid trip to Washington, DC, publicity for your chapter, VIP reception and free products for your school!
When you apply for national recognition – your entry will be evaluated on creativity, ability to replicate your results, evidence of teamwork and program impact. Just send us a one page summary report and supporting information by January 31.Previous award recipients have created posters, videos, rap songs and more!
Applying for national recognition is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Get your chapter excited about handwashing in your school .Click hereto learn more about what the Fulda High School FCCLA Chapter did that earned them a $5,000 cash award and trip to Washington, DC!
- Create a handwashing program for your STAR Events, Community Service Project or Power of One following theaward application guidelines.
- Send your project summary with photo’s, video’s, posters or other supplemental materials to ACI by January 31.
Make handwashing a part of your FCCLA Chapter Work
STAR Events – Make handwashing the focus of your competitive event. This topic is perfect for the new STAR Event that focuses on health and wellness!
FCCLA Community Service Project – Develop, plan, carry out and evaluate a handwashing project to improve the quality of life in your communities.
FCCLA Power of One – Use your personal power to increase handwashing in your school.
SchoolTube– Post a handwashing video on the American Cleaning Institute Channel on SchoolTube–Because Cleaning Matters SM.
Resources to help get you started!
- Review the award application guidelines
- Learn more about the FCCLA Chapters who earned the2010 National Award, the2011 National Award and the 2013 National Award
- Download the free planning guide
- Request free materials to support your handwashing program by calling 202-662-2528